Safety Restraint Misuses
- At least 3 out of 4 safety seats are unintentionally misused. Partial misuse of a safety seat reduces its effectiveness against severe injuries.
- Parents’ top 3 mistakes when installing traditional safety seats include:
- Failure to secure the seat tightly
- Failure to secure the harness straps tightly
- Incorrect positioning of the chest clip
- To help guard against misuse of safety seats, parents should always:
- READ seat instructions, labels, and vehicle owner’s manual
- Install the seat tightly (less than 1 inch of movement) & lock the safety belt
- Position the harness straps tightly
- The primary cause of injuries from misuse of booster seats is the misrouting of the safety belt. Common misuses of booster seats and safety belts include:
- Shoulder belts being placed behind the child’s back, under the child’s arm, or over the booster seat arm rest
- Shoulder belts not being placed at mid-shoulder position
- Shoulder belts being positioned too loosely
Find and attend a seat check event.